NIOBIUM ! Yes Yes Yes

This morning I cut a couple of pieces of niobium and went to the studio and  microfolded for effect

set up took all of 3 minutes  from my bin that holds all the equipment for anodizing
 I can reuse 
the stainless steel anode 
The nice thing is I am not working with any dangerous chemicals - the TSP is a household cleaner/soap mixed in water 
The most dangerous is the electrical part - long as you follow instructions its easy -

first I did some titanium just to check it was working

then I did the first Niobium sample - and hen my grand daughter who is 6 wanted to try - so we gloved her up and she did a niobium

OMG !  the one on the left  is mine - the one on the right is my grand daughters

I think the color is brighter on the niobium for sure - but I may not have the titanium clean enough - I'll have to reserve that till I get the multi etch and so some samples brushing with steel wool as well

so easy so simple

Next is making some paint brushes that will conduct and I can brush in the areas I want to brush  and also get a piece of sea sponge and do a sponge effect

of course I may now cut pieces that I could turn into earrings or pendants so I dont waste it

but fun - wow and fast -  immediate gratification - this is definitely going to be more fun


3 comments:

  1. Great colours! Maybe folding the metal causes more reflection so the colours look brighter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niobium does give brighter colors than the titanium but I read also if you shine up the titanium - in the tumbler maybe the colors look brigher ( on titanium they look duller /softer) but I really like this bright bold - Its just so simple I cant believe I did not do this sooner

      Delete
    2. Niobium does give brighter colors than the titanium but I read also if you shine up the titanium - in the tumbler maybe the colors look brigher ( on titanium they look duller /softer) but I really like this bright bold - Its just so simple I cant believe I did not do this sooner

      Delete