Flattening and cleaning copper sheet for etching

tonights project is to flatten the 3 x 4 sheets for etching

Even when you use the shear or scissors you get a bit of a curl and bends in the copper
you want it as flat as you can to put your design on so its even


I use my two steel  blocks and a hammer - to tap on this way  you dont get hammer marks on the soft copper and because its soft it flattens the piece out

I position it in quarters
and tap tap tap 
takes away the curl of the edge and levels it all out 
all nice and flat and ready for cleaning

I got some nice hot water and soap and then put them in to cut the oils 
as I pulled them out and gave them a squirt of windex and cleaned them up  being careful to hold them by the sides so any oils from my hands did not get on the clean surfaces -  oils can make the resist not adhere to the metal surface
cleaned and ready for the resists 
I will wrap up to keep any dirt or oils from getting on them till I am ready to apply (hopefully tomorrow)





9 comments:

  1. Interesting. I've never tried working with any type of metal sheeting before. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an addicting site! So many interesting and unique ideas, and I've never
    seen so much equipment and supplies. Wish I lived next door!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great tutorial. I got a saw for christmas and some files so I've bought some copper... and now I'm scared!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dont be afraid ! dive in - best to make mistakes and it will give your greater ideas and its all about practice practice practice !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your site & your projects :) Thanks for sharing them !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always been interested in copper artwork, but never knew that much about it. There is a store right by me that sells copper sheets, and now I know what to do with them! I will have to go pick sheets up tomorrow and give it a try. Very useful information, and I look forward to reading more posts.

    Brandi Bradley @ Rotax Metals

    ReplyDelete
  7. Browning Enterprises Inc. is an eminent manufacturer of Metal Sheet Flattening Plant and I’m happy to get my work done from them. They have various flattening machines like roller straightening machines, and metal flattener machines, along with skilled engineers. They use radical technologies and high-quality raw materials that are ideal for flattening of any rolled ferrous and non-ferrous materials. I got product quality, & good-finish. I would surely recommend Browning Enterprises Inc. that use great machines that are in tough, durable & perfect for sheet flattening. Their website link is https://beial.com/.



    ReplyDelete
  8. Mittal Engineering is a Best Copper Coils Manufacturer in India. We use the best raw material to produce these Coils. As per the client’s needs, we are manufacturing and supplying customized as well as customized Coils. We are making the best quality of Copper Coils at affordable rates. We also Provide Copper Sheet, Copper Strips, Copper Circle, Brass Coils, Brass Sheet, Brass Circle these products at market affordable price.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea!! I have thin and larger copper sheet(60x80cm) with curls. I don’t have metal blocks. Do you think I can use thick books? I need to draw on this sheet.

    ReplyDelete